Maritime Forces Atlantic
Canadian Forces Base Halifax (CFB Halifax) is Canada's East Coast naval base and home port to the Atlantic Fleet. It is the largest military base in Canada in terms of the number of posted personnel. It is formed from a variety of military properties around strategic Halifax Harbour in Nova Scotia. CFB Halifax provides construction engineering, general and specific mandated safety, environmental management, logistics, harbour support and emergency response services to Maritime Forces Atlantic and assigned lodger units.
CFB Halifax includes the following properties and lodger units:
- Her Majesty's Canadian Dockyard (HMC Dockyard)
- HMC Dockyard, located on the Halifax side of the harbour at the southern end of The Narrows, hosts the headquarters of Joint Task Forces Atlantic (JTFA), Maritime Forces Atlantic (MARLANT), Land Forces Area Atlantic (LFAA) and Canadian Fleet Atlantic (CANFLTLANT)
- HMC Dockyard contains berths for Canadian and foreign warships. These are administered by the Queen’s Harbour Master. Other facilities include the Formation Supply Facility, Fleet Maintenance Facility Cape Scott, shore-based training facilities as well as operations buildings for MARLANT and other organizations such as a Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) for air/marine search and rescue, and facilities for the local Naval Reserve unit, HMCS Scotian.
- HMC Dockyard also has an adjunct facility directly across the harbour on the Dartmouth shoreline with jetties and various buildings, including Defence Research and Development Canada - Atlantic.
- HMC Dockyard maintains exclusive control of several anchorage areas within the limits of Halifax Harbour and prevents civilian vessels from sailing in the vicinity of military facilities.
- HMC Dockyard is one of the oldest defence establishments in Canada, having been established by the Royal Navy during the 18th century as HMS Dockyard.
- Willow Park
a. Willow Park houses the base transport and supply facilities
- Shannon Park
a. Shannon Park houses the base arena and other recreational facilities.
- Windsor Park
a. Winsor Park is home to the Seamanship Division and Personnel Support Program facilities such as the Military Family Resource Centre, a Curling Club, and Auto Club.
- The Stadacona Barracks, frequently referred to as "Stad", is an adjunct to HMC Dockyard located west of the waterfront in the North End of the Halifax peninsula.
- Stadacona contains the naval communications centre HMCS Trinity, the Canadian Forces Naval Engineering School, the Canadian Forces Naval Operations School, the base hospital, the base gymnasium, the Canadian Forces Maritime Warfare Centre, the Fleet Club, the Chief and Petty Officers’/ Warrant Officers’and Sergeants’ mess, the Wardroom and Atlantic Block, housing for junior non-commissioned members.
5. 12 Wing Shearwater
a. 12 Wing Shearwater, the local Air Force base is a lodger unit of CFB Halifax. It is the home of 423 and 406 Squadron, the local Sea King helicopter units.
b. Shearwater has many personnel support facilities such as a Military Family Resource Centre, an Arena, a Gymnasium, as well as private and communal personnel accommodations.
c. Shearwater is also the home to the facilities of Fleet Diving Unit Atlantic and NA Jetty the first navy jetty regulated by QHM.
6. CFAD Bedford
- The Canadian Forces Ammunition Depot Bedford, frequently referred to as the "Bedford Magazine", is a major Canadian Forces property occupying the entire northern shore of Bedford Basin. It houses all of the weaponry for MARLANT vessels and has a loading jetty and several nearby anchorages.
7. The Bedford Rifle Range
- The Bedford Rifle Range serves as a small arms training facility for the East Coast Navy.
8. Damage Control School
a. Contains an administration building and Damage Control Training Facility Kootenay, a state of the art training facility designed to simulate a realistic shiplike environment where personnel are challenged to fight fires and floods.
b. The facility is located south of Halifax in the near Purcell’s Cove.
9. Naval Radio Station Newport Corner and Naval Radio Station Mill Cove
- HMCS Trinity, located in Stadacona, operates two remote radio transmitter/receiver stations near Halifax: Naval Radio Station Newport Corner and Naval Radio Station Mill Cove.
- Date modified: